[Gllug] Linux laptop?

Steve Cobrin cobrin at highbury.net
Tue May 21 21:44:24 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 16:12, Garry Heaton wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a relatively hassle-free, Linux-friendly laptop?
> Most advertised models don't list the spec in sufficient detail to work
> it out for myself.
>
> Garry Heaton

You don't give a price band or whether your looking for a new or second-hand,
but...

I'd suggest taking a look at http://www.linux-laptop.net there are plenty of
other sites too.

I've got a Dell Latitiude 610, and am very happily running SuSE 8.0 on it,
XFree86 4.2 supports my Radeon Mobility chipset, and the sound worked
immediately.

Alternatively consider looking at IBM notebooks, with IBM's Linux presence I
would hope they should be well supported, by now. They also have a built-in 3
button mouse.

On the whole most laptops should work fine. Just watch out for ones with
Win-Modems fitted.

 - Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk