[Gllug] Filesystems again :)

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu May 16 13:50:58 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 15:26, rich at annexia.org wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:53:31PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 11:37, pauln at truemesh.com wrote:
> > > More pondering on how to do high availability storage :)
> > >
> > What do you mean by high availability storage?
> >
> > I'm quite interested in this area in general,
> > but sadly have never had the chance to play with things
> > like that :-(
> >
> > Not really related, but I went to a talk on storage by
> > Steven Sicola of Compaq.
> > Lots of cool stuff about big storage arrays,
> > and replicating data between data centres etc.
>
> Was this on Linux? What software was he using for the
> replication? We are running some very large arrays here
> using Linux / ext3, and I'd love to be able to replicate
> them easily.

As I recall, more on the level of 'enterprise storage arrays',
ie. large stand-alone storage arrays, and storage virtualisation.

With a virtual storage array, you can 'snapshot' it and take
an instant backup.
Also you can spread your data over many, many disks, and easily
add more disks to the array.

The speaker was talking about things like 'time travel' where
you could roll back easily to a few minutes in the past,
or keeping a backup data centre totally in sync with the primary one.
IIRC, he was talking about using fibre channel to IP bridges
to link over long distances.
Sorry - I'm not being particularly clear, or precise here.
I wish I had the slides.

I also think he mentioned new switches which would handle
both gig ethernet or fibre channel, depending on what
you plugged into the ports (!). Or maybe I'm raving, as usual.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk