[Gllug] Screen I just have to share

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Thu May 16 20:45:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:27:23AM +0100, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >having found ADSL to be a little flakey at times and losing my ssh
> >connections.  I have just taken up a couple of peoples advice up and
> >installed screen.
>
> While I agree with your sentiments about screen 100%, I'm somewhat bemused
> by your experiences with ADSL. Mine has been pretty rock solid since I got
> it. I've had 3 failures in a year or so, and they've all been caused by my
> Alcatel router getting confused. A simple power cycle, and everything's
> back to normal...

The problem is not so much with the ADSL kit here in the office but
upstream with easy net and bt.  Working nights I tend to hit scheduled works at
about 2-4 in the morning.  Traceroute shows 700-900ms latency if that is
the right term.

I think it is this that is causing the SSH connection to terminate at
times.  If I am wrong about this please feel free to correct me.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk