[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu May 23 12:42:37 UTC 2002

Mats Hulten wrote:

> Problem solved!
> I had simply missed to compile the proper drivers with the kernel... :)
>
> Mayby Gentoo isn't for the complete beginner, but I'm going to run with
> it for a while.
> A friend of mine rekommended it to me, as it was in his opininon a
> perfekt system for a beginner... (I bet hes laughing his ass of right
> about now... :)

I guess it depends on your definition of "perfect" and who the beginner
is. It's about the most complex of all distros to install, but that
means that you learn more in the process. The instructions are pretty
good, although I did note that the kernel compilation section missed out
the essential "make mrproper"; this is of course in the instructions in
the kernel tree. You end up with a cleaner system better tailored to
your needs and easier to maintain because of the excellent "portage"
system, as compared to most distros (Debian could be said to compete).

I suspect that most beginners without any sort of *nix background would
take one look and run away to something like Mandrake. But if you have
it working, and you're getting on with it, stick with it as ultimately
it will be the more rewarding experience.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk