[Gllug] Exim and virtual domains

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu May 16 12:17:39 UTC 2002

Thanks, this looks like just what I need!

> virtusertable:
> 	driver = aliasfile
> 	file = /etc/mail/eximtable
> 	search_type = lsearch*@
> 	include_domain
>
> As you will notice, it is virtually identical to the system_aliases
> director which makes use of /etc/aliases, but with one major
> exception.
> The line, search_type = lsearch*@, allows for things like
> catchall/wildcard addresses along the lines of:

so just put the above at the top of the "Directors" section of
/etc/exim/exim.conf
and the below are lines in the /etc/mail/eximtable file (or whatever I
specify above)?

I'll check this out tonight if I get time,

Paul.

> *@domain.com:	mypop3
>
> for local accounts
>
> or
>
> *@domain2.com:	wibble at hotwibbler.com
>
> for remote accounts.  For course, you can also do simple
> things such as:
>
> wibble at domain2.com:	wibble at hotwibbler.com
>
> or
>
> wibble2 at domain2.com:	mypop3
>
> I've called the director virtusertable purely as I was used to
> Sendmail's virtusertable file.  I prefer to keep my aliases file
> seperate.
>
> > The box has the domain "mydomain.com" say but I also have DNS A, MX,
> > etc records set up for "foo.com" and "bar.com" to point to
> the same IP
> > address. For starters it would be nice just to bounce mail for
> > fred at bar.com to another email say fred at fredsisp.net. Then maybe also
> > have local spools so people can pick up email by pop3.
> > I have this kind of setup with postfix on another box and although
> > it's slightly tricky to set up it does work.
>
> Using the above example, you'll just need to ensure that you either
> alter the system_aliases to make use of lsearch*@ or set-up your own
> director and file and then add the following line to the file:
>
> fred at bar.com:		fred at fredsisp.net,mypop3
>
> > I've looked into /etc/aliases but I'm not sure if this is just for
> > local users - I tried adding an outside email to this but I think it
> > thought I was trying to use it as a relay and gave me an error.
>
> By default, it is, but you can alter the search_type line to read:
>
> 	search_type = lsearch*@
>
> which provides the greatest flexibility.
>
> > Can Exim even do this (I'm sure I've seen this topic before but
> > couldn't see it in the archives) or do I need something more
> > heavyweight like Courier?
>
> I love Exim because it is just so much more easier to understand than
> Sendmail.  I will never go back to using Sendmail unless forced at
> gunpoint ;)
>
> > Are there any simple introductions to Exim either online or
> in print?
> > Is the O'Reilly Exim book any good?
>
> I highly recommend the O'Reilly Exim book.  Speaking of which - has a
> new edition been released yet with Exim 4 support?
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Martyn
>
> --
> Martyn Drake                 | Email :    martyn-d at moving-picture.com
> Systems Administrator        | Web   :  http://www.moving-picture.com
> The Moving Picture Company   | Phone :            +44 (0)20 7494 7853
>
> --

Notice
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be used by, or its
contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended
recipient. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any
third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is excluded. If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify our Systems Administrator on 020 8695 4111 and
delete the e-mail.

Warning
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus
and other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is
accepted by Cosmos PLC in this regard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk