[Gllug] OT: Star Wars in digital

Martyn Drake martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Thu May 16 09:34:58 UTC 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002 22:24:51 +0100 (BST) Formi wrote:

>  I must admit I don't go to the cine. I don't like to give
>  money to the Holywood mafia, partly because of all the reasons
>  about copyright explained by RMS on his talk a few months ago.

I don't go to the cinema very often these days for the following
reasons:-

1) The cost.  The Warner Village cinema in Leicester Square is so
outrageouly expensive, it'll probably be cheaper to wait for the DVD
release AND you get to play it in the comfort of your own home without
the discomfort of the cinema seats.

2) People kissing at the back row.  I remember watching Harry Potter and
the Philosopher's Scone with the missus and several teenagers barged
into the back of the cinema and started kissing.  I wouldn't have minded
so much, but they just couldn't kiss to save their lives.  Too much
squelching and slurping.  For Goodness sake, we both wanted to go to
back and say to them that if they're going to kiss, then bloody do it
properly.  Rank Amateurs by all accounts.

3) Kids.  Those screaming, annoying little buggers that enjoy silly
conversations during the film.  The Phantom Menance was really bad - it
took me three showings just to get through and understand what was
happening in the film because of the bloody little buggers running
around

4) Foreign Students.  I'm sorry - I'm not trying to be racist or
studentist here (after all I was a student once), but where I live we
have a lot of students and as such a fair share foreign students.  It's
always annoying at our local cinema to find groups of German or French
students moaning about the film, the cinema, the UK in general - just
about everything - and they will not shut up during the whole film.  I
only know this as my wife speaks fluent French and German!

I must go to the wrong cinemas - I'm sure.  This is why I tend to always
wait for the DVD of a film to come out.  It works out cheaper, more
comfortable and usually has more features than the original theatrical
release.

And going off-topic a bit (but still somewhat related) - I remember once
at Universal Studios at the Terminator 3-D attraction that some
parent(s) decided on taking their 5 year old kid in with them.  They
were then left wondering why she was crying her eyeballs out by the end
of the show.  For those that haven't been - it's quite a bit loud (it
will hurt your ears) and a bit extreme for kids under 10 if you ask me.

Regards,

	Victor Meldrew

Martyn Drake                 | Email :    martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Systems Administrator        | Web   :  http://www.moving-picture.com
The Moving Picture Company   | Phone :            +44 (0)20 7494 7853

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk