[Gllug] Bounces and Mailman

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu May 23 18:58:13 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 18:53, Martyn Drake wrote:
> The thing is, Mailman has built in bounce protection to avoid all this mess,
> and what I don't understand is why Gllug's version of Mailman isn't doing
> it's job at bounce detection.  In all my time installing and running the
> mailing list for the Anglian Linux User Group (http://www.alug.org.uk), we
> have never had a bounce go directly to the list.  The administrators are
> notified if there are excessive bounces and Mailman automatically disables
> the account for which the bounces originate from.

The bounce detection has improved in recent versions of mailman (and the
core one at work which gllug is hosted on is due for an upgrade) but
I've never seen it to be perfect. :/

> Why it isn't happing here I don't know, since I don't know how the list is
> configured.  Also, noticing the version of Mailman that is used here, maybe
> it's about time it gets upgraded since there have been many point releases
> since 2.0.2.

As ever upgrades on the core servers are on a "need" and "time" basis,
the list service has a lower priority than other core functions.  Maybe
I spend some time on it tomorrow after I fix that bug with the f*cking
fp extensions on the core web box.

   Mark

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>