[Gllug] Re Reiserfs gotchas

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri May 10 13:46:00 UTC 2002

Michael Clinch(mclinch at chigwell-school.org)@Thu, May 09, 2002 at 03:00:23PM +0100:
> I have used the Reiserfs under SuSE 7.1 and 7.3 but I have dropped back
> to ext2 for now.
> No problems withe the fs    BUT   the repair tools were not up to
> scratch.  The rescue disc
> would not recognize Reisedfs partitions and fsck was a no go.
> So I chickened out
> Mike

i was reading something the otehr day on the MDK cooker list about how
the recovery tools on reiser were not upto much.  someone on the list
pointed out that:
[root at box root]# ls -l /sbin/fsck.reiserfs
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 May  4 00:40
/sbin/fsck.reiserfs -> ../bin/true*

which was setup by the reiserfsprogs package.  they were asking why it
didnt point to the real recovery program.  the answer IIRC was that the
tools could not be trusted, and they may even do more damage than good.
not really a great advert for reiser.

but, in all the time i've been running it, i've only had one annoying
fsckup, and that was due to shite IBM disks going pete tong.  unlink
/etc/mtab caused a kernel panic.  ouch.

otehr than that, i've had no problems what so ever with it, i'm not
exactly a heavy user, but do move large ammounts of data back and forth
every now and again.

-v

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 C:\> File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk