[Gllug] Perl / PHP

Nick Mailer nickm at positive-internet.com
Fri May 10 09:56:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 10:32, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >Tet, take a look at the PEAR::DB classes. Obviously, we all the One
> >True Way of doing this is to use Java servlets :P
>
> Having first hand experience of the problems we've had with our
> corporate web site which uses servlets, I can categorically state
> that I'd put them well down the list (below both Perl and PHP)
> when choosing how to implement a new site. Obviously, YMMV, but
> for me, they're far more trouble than they're worth. Development
> time is significantly longer, run time performance is worse, and
> if I never see another "servlet error 500" message, I'll be a
> happy man...

Hear hear! Java Servlets are an abomination. They're complicated,
buzzword obsessed, slow, bulky, tortuous and as flaky as filo. And
again, I say this from painful real-world experience rather than the
Utopia that Sun attempt to portray in their marketing of these horrible
technologies for gullible market-droids.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk