[Gllug] reduce modem volume?

Walid Shaari Walid at melinux.com
Sun Nov 24 11:52:31 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 11:42, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> I have a very loud external modem which screeches like a banshee.
> My PC is in my bedroom. I'm not alone.  I fear I will be if this carries on
> for much longer :)
> I've put Google thru' it's paces and found nothing.
> I've been through my manual over and over. Lots on windows; zilch on Linux.
> I did find a reference in the command section to:
>
> Ln   2 (Data mode)
>
> and then different options for the volume i.e.
>
> n =0  low speaker volume
> n = 1 low speaker volume
> n = 2 medium speaker volume
> n = 3 high speaker volume
>
> So, I presume I enter L0 somewhere. But where?
> Is there a configuration file for the modem hiding somewhere?
>
> I've got SUSE 8.1 and use wvdial.

I haven't used a modem for a long time now, but you are right about the
wvdial configuration file /etc/wvdial.conf, from there you can set the
volume either by
SetVolume = 1

or specify the appropraite modme command in the Init string such as

Init2 = ATZ&L0

now, you still need to do a bit of homework and verify the above :)

Walid

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk