[Gllug] problems with ypinit and slave server

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Tue Nov 12 11:28:17 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I was adding a new machine on a new subnet to become a slave ypserver.
The machine is currently a client of the server etc. and can ypbind to
the server sucessfully. Now when I try to run /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -s
mastershostname it complains:

Can't enumerate maps from mastershostname. Please check that it is running.

All of the other slave ypservers are working happily and are picking up
updates etc. from the ypmaster. I have checked the securenets file and
hosts.allow and hosts.deny. I have added the new slave to the ypservers
file and run Make and the new client can see its name in the map.

Does anyone have any ideas? The Linux Nis documentation is a bit scant
really, and not really much use when it comes to debugging. I have
checked all of the versions of ypbind and ypserv etc. in use and
although some are a little crusty they work ok with the mix of other
machines with differing versions.

I have also run tcpdump on the master ypserver and the new slave server
does do some dialog with the server although I havn't investigated this
further yet.

Thanks
Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk