[Gllug] USB Discs

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Nov 5 19:06:59 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 18:05, Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> Whoops, I don't know where you got your numbers, but lets work them through.
>
> USB - 12 Mb/s =~ 1.5 MB/s
> USB 2.0 - 480 Mb/s =~ 60 MB/s
> Firewire - 400 Mb/s =~ 50 MB/s

I've been using a 20Gb external drive for at least a year with no
problem - the one I have is a small unit (laptop hard disk) and has both
USB and firewire. I got around 12 MB / second out of it (firewire),
limited by the disk last time I checked.

Firewire support has been very flakey at times in the 2.4.x kernels, but
now works pretty well provided you don't let your laptop go to sleep (:

If you have to fall back to USB of the first version, it'll be slow, as
you say, but for archiving that won't matter.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk