[Gllug] USB Discs

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Tue Nov 5 18:05:13 UTC 2002

Whoops, I don't know where you got your numbers, but lets work them through.

USB - 12 Mb/s =~ 1.5 MB/s
USB 2.0 - 480 Mb/s =~ 60 MB/s
Firewire - 400 Mb/s =~ 50 MB/s

While these throughput speeds are maximums, hard drive sustained transfer
speeds are much less.  As long as you are reading from the Hard Drive's
cache you will reach these speeds.  A decent IDE drive will get 35 MB/s
(about 20x faster than USB 1.1) while a laptop drive will get less than
that.  Granted, I would rather use USB 2.0 or Firewire instead of 12 Mb USB
and I wouldn't plan on using a USB drive as a main storage drive, but it
does make moving it from one computer to another very easy.

Andy Farnsworth