[Gllug] fluxbox/debian

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 20:09:04 UTC 2002

Simon A. Boggis wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 17:56, will wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I just tried to set the background wallpaper for fluxbox (a blackbox type window
>>manager) and got the following error:
>>
>>bash-2.05a$ bsetbg  -f /usr/share/wallpapers/Debian.jpg
>>
>>bsetbg: error: tried to run 'xsri --scale-width=100 --scale-width=100' for -f
>>argument,
>>bsetbg: but couldnt find 'xsri' in the path! please fix the following
>>bsetbg: line in /home/will/.fluxbox/bsetbg to point to an existing application:
>>bsetbg: FULL="xsri --scale-width=100 --scale-width=100"
>>
>>I have searched for xsri on the local system and it doesn't appear to be there,
>>and also 'apt-cache search xsri' does not turn anything up.  Am I searching
>>properly for the package that provides this, and if so, what do I need to
>>install to provide xsri?  I have found a load of links to RPM's on google, and
>>searched the package lists for Debian but have not found anything.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Will.
>

> Whilst dlocate is pretty useful for searching for the names of installed
> files, I don't think apt-cache search searches by filename. There is
> almost certainly something for searching by file for non-installed
> packages, but I tend to jump straight to https://packages.debian.org,
> where you can search by package or file name in all possible releases.
>
> As far as I can see there is no file called xsri in stable, testing or
> unstable.
>
> It looks to me like a dot file in your home dir is requesting xsri:
>

>>bsetbg: line in /home/will/.fluxbox/bsetbg to point to an existing application:
>>bsetbg: FULL="xsri --scale-width=100 --scale-width=100"
>

> I would try moving that preferences file for bsetbg aside to see if the
> default works? If not, edit the FULL=... line to use something else.

I had a look at the file /home/will/.fluxbox/bsetbg and it contained the following:

### xsri
FULL="xsri --scale-width=100 --scale-width=100"
TILE="xsri --tile"
CENTER="xsri --center-x --center-y"
DEFAULT="xsri --center-x --center-y"

### display
# FULL="display -geometry 800x600 -window root"
# TILE="display -window root"
# CENTER="display -backdrop -window root"
# DEFAULT="display -backdrop -window root"

### xsetbg (xli)
# FULL="xsetbg -fillscreen"
# TILE="xsetbg"
# CENTER="xsetbg -center"
# DEFAULT="xsetbg -center"

I commented the xsri lines out and uncommented the xsetbg lines and edited
-fillscreen to -fullscreen and after installing xsetbg ( apt-get install
xloadimage ) the bsetbg command worked.  the file looked like this after I had
finished:

### xsri
#FULL="xsri --scale-width=100 --scale-width=100"
#TILE="xsri --tile"
#CENTER="xsri --center-x --center-y"
#DEFAULT="xsri --center-x --center-y"

### display
# FULL="display -geometry 800x600 -window root"
# TILE="display -window root"
# CENTER="display -backdrop -window root"
# DEFAULT="display -backdrop -window root"

### xsetbg (xli)
FULL="xsetbg -fullscreen"
TILE="xsetbg"
CENTER="xsetbg -center"