[Gllug] fluxbox/debian

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 20:14:25 UTC 2002

Simon A. Boggis wrote:

>On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 17:56, will wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I just tried to set the background wallpaper for fluxbox (a blackbox type window
>>manager) and got the following error:
>>
>>bash-2.05a$ bsetbg  -f /usr/share/wallpapers/Debian.jpg
>>
>>bsetbg: error: tried to run 'xsri --scale-width=100 --scale-width=100' for -f
>>argument,
>>bsetbg: but couldnt find 'xsri' in the path! please fix the following
>>bsetbg: line in /home/will/.fluxbox/bsetbg to point to an existing application:
>>bsetbg: FULL="xsri --scale-width=100 --scale-width=100"
>>
>>I have searched for xsri on the local system and it doesn't appear to be there,
>>and also 'apt-cache search xsri' does not turn anything up.  Am I searching
>>properly for the package that provides this, and if so, what do I need to
>>install to provide xsri?  I have found a load of links to RPM's on google, and
>>searched the package lists for Debian but have not found anything.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Will.
>>

>Whilst dlocate is pretty useful for searching for the names of installed
>files, I don't think apt-cache search searches by filename. There is
>almost certainly something for searching by file for non-installed
>packages, but I tend to jump straight to https://packages.debian.org,
>where you can search by package or file name in all possible releases.
>
>As far as I can see there is no file called xsri in stable, testing or
>unstable.
>
>It looks to me like a dot file in your home dir is requesting xsri:
>

>>bsetbg: line in /home/will/.fluxbox/bsetbg to point to an existing application:
>>bsetbg: FULL="xsri --scale-width=100 --scale-width=100"
>>

>I would try moving that preferences file for bsetbg aside to see if the
>default works? If not, edit the FULL=... line to use something else.
>
>Simon

 locate xsri
/home/backup/data/rh7.2/RedHat/RPMS/xsri-2.0.3-1.i386.rpm
/usr/bin/xsri
/usr/share/doc/xsri-2.1.0
/usr/share/doc/xsri-2.1.0/README

There must be some source available with the redhat 7.2 distro ;-)

I have fluxbox installed at home :-)

Kind regards
Xander

This is from the readme:
Display
=======

 xsri supports three modes of operation

  --set Set the background, by the standard method used for setting a users
        background (_XROOTPMAP_ID, ESETROOT_PMAP_I point to the pixmap
        ID, pixmap ID is owned by a persistant X connection which
        must be killed with XKillClient.) This is the default mode.

  --run xsri maintains the background while running, but does not
        set it. This mode may take less memory than SET, since xsri
        can use multiple windows to display the image, and will
        work better on Pseudo-color displays. When xsri exits, the
background
        will be in an undefined state.

  --test The image is displayed in a window which is half the width and
         height of the screen.

Authors
=======

Owen Taylor <otaylor at redhat.com>

License and Copyright

xsri is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
See the included file "COPYING".

Copyright Red Hat, Inc, 2001

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk