[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 10 09:22:09 UTC 2002

> > Good news. At last I've managed to connect to the Internet. Entered the
> > settings as root in wvdial.conf.
> > Now I open a console, type Su, my password, Wvdial, click on a link and
>I'm on.
> > It's a bit of a hassle - why do I have to be su. to make this happen? I
> > certainly do not want to be comparing this with the way I just have to
> > click on a link in Windows and the dialling follows automatically,
>however,
> > it's my only frame of reference.  Is this the only way I can get on the
>net
> > with linux?

The problem is that when you type wvdial, you connect via the modem, and only
root has permissions to read/write to the port.

To get round this, as root type

chmod 777 /dev/modem

(where /dev/modem is whatever port your modem is on - look in wvdial.conf).

Then, you should be able to run wvdial as a non-root user.

The permissions problem you had with kpp can probably be solved by the same
mechanism - except chnage /usr/sbin/pppd.

This is the price you pay for a secure OS - on windows, everyone is
effectively 'root', and can do anything.  On Linux, 'normal' users can't do
much - unless root gives them permission.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk