[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Sun Nov 10 10:17:41 UTC 2002

On Sunday 10 November 2002 09:22, Ian Scott wrote:
> > > Good news. At last I've managed to connect to the Internet. Entered the
> > > settings as root in wvdial.conf.
> > > Now I open a console, type Su, my password, Wvdial, click on a link and
> >I'm on.
> >
> > > It's a bit of a hassle - why do I have to be su. to make this happen? I
> > > certainly do not want to be comparing this with the way I just have to
> > > click on a link in Windows and the dialling follows automatically,
> >however, it's my only frame of reference.  Is this the only way I can get
>>on the net with linux?
>
> The problem is that when you type wvdial, you connect via the modem, and
> only root has permissions to read/write to the port.
>
> To get round this, as root type
>
> chmod 777 /dev/modem
>
> (where /dev/modem is whatever port your modem is on - look in wvdial.conf).
>
> Then, you should be able to run wvdial as a non-root user.

Ian
I did this. Checked wvdial.conf, Logged on as root, typed:

chmod 777 /dev/ttys0
pressed ENTER
and got the following:

 dermot at linux:~> wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.42
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Idle Seconds = 600, disabling automatic reconnect.
--> Sending: ATDTxxxxxxxxxxx
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDTxxxxxxxxxxx
CONNECT 115200
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Nov 10 10:07:57 2002
--> pid of pppd: 2047
--> Disconnecting at Sun Nov 10 10:07:57 2002
--> The PPP daemon has died: No root priv error (exit code = 3)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 3)

I don't know what secure is and isn't at this early stage so I've stuck in X's
instead of the phone no.
Anyway, I'm afraid it wouldn't work. The message I've given above is also the
message I used get before I did the chmod thing. Tried it a few times.No
difference.
 It still only works when logged on as root.

Thanks for your efforts
Dermot.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk