[Gllug] Flavours end - Linux begins?

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Sun Nov 17 14:57:15 UTC 2002

I'm trying to get together some books to assist me in learning LINUX. The
version I have is SUSE 8.1. However, I can find no books specific to
that.  I find the SUSE manuals of some use but they don't go into stuff in
enough detail for me.
What I need to know is, if, for instance, I get a QUE book, "Using Linux,
Special Edition, 6th ed."  which has blurb on the cover referring to
"Configure Red Hat Linux, Caldera Open Linux and Debian GNU/Linux" will I
learn anything about Linux per se? I don't want to waste £33 on a book that
I will learn little from. As a beginner it's difficult to know just from
browsing in the shop whether it will be of any use to me or not. Maybe
somebody could even recommend a book?
I know this is difficult if you haven't got the book I've mentioned, so
maybe a better question would be: Where do all the different flavours leave
off and where does Linux itself actually begin?
Thanks for any pointers
Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk