[Gllug] Flavours end - Linux begins?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sun Nov 17 15:18:07 UTC 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Dermot Moynihan wrote:

> I'm trying to get together some books to assist me in learning LINUX. The
> version I have is SUSE 8.1. However, I can find no books specific to
> that.  I find the SUSE manuals of some use but they don't go into stuff in
> enough detail for me.
> What I need to know is, if, for instance, I get a QUE book, "Using Linux,
> Special Edition, 6th ed."  which has blurb on the cover referring to
> "Configure Red Hat Linux, Caldera Open Linux and Debian GNU/Linux" will I
> learn anything about Linux per se? I don't want to waste £33 on a book that
> I will learn little from. As a beginner it's difficult to know just from
> browsing in the shop whether it will be of any use to me or not. Maybe
> somebody could even recommend a book?

OK the first thing you need to remember is that the only real difference
between most distributions is their own config tools.

All the distributions share the same basic system and all install pretty
much the same software. Most configuration etc is of that software - the
distro tools just present a unified interface for that (and SuSE's YaST
does seem to be one of the better ones).

Any good Linux book should teach you much of what you need to know and so
long as it is not based upon using a specific distro's management tools
will help you with any Linux distribution.

You might even find it better value to buy a books or two second hand.

It's a long time since I bought a Linux book for myself so I am not well
qualified to recommend one of the current batch. That said O'Reilly
publish a book called "Running Linux" that offers a very good distro
agnostic introduction to Linux.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk