[Gllug] webcaches

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 19:26:54 UTC 2002

On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 04:30 PM, Daniel Andersson wrote:

> what do people have against isps having webcaches in place?
>
> blueyonder have a webcache, which i'm forced to use
> and i've never had any problems with it
>
> is the "only" problem badly setup webcaches or am i missing something?

I'm in charge of a number of dynamic websites which I like to check
from my home connection whilst developing. If my ISP had included a
webcache I would not trust the connection to test the site as you can
not be sure that you are seeing the served page or the cached page.

For the bulk of people they are fine - what I object to is not being
given the choice to opt out - in the same way that all mail from a
freeserve customer has to go via their SMTP proxy. Plays havoc if
you're hosting a mailing list or otherwise from your DSL connection.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk