[Gllug] webcaches

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Nov 18 21:37:46 UTC 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Matthew Thompson wrote:

> I'm in charge of a number of dynamic websites which I like to check
> from my home connection whilst developing. If my ISP had included a
> webcache I would not trust the connection to test the site as you can
> not be sure that you are seeing the served page or the cached page.

I am in a similar position. I am connected via NTL and they have awful
web caches.

The key to dealing with the issue is to explicitely set a negative value
expiry time in the headers you send with the page. Doing this prevents the
cache from holding the page. You can also set the no cache pragma.

> For the bulk of people they are fine - what I object to is not being
> given the choice to opt out - in the same way that all mail from a
> freeserve customer has to go via their SMTP proxy. Plays havoc if
> you're hosting a mailing list or otherwise from your DSL connection.

Having spammers on your network plays a lot more havok if you are the ISP.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk