[Gllug] postfix setup: How do I find out what host I am?

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Thu Nov 28 00:29:42 UTC 2002

> Hi
>
> I am trying to setup postfix on a standalone pc.
> According to some instructions I have I need to configure my main.cf
>
> myhostname = yourhost.someprovider.com
> mydomain = someprovider.com
> myorigin = $mydomain
>
> In my case I am with www.virgin.net and my username is laurie.turpin
> What should yourhost be changed to?
> someprovider.com will become virgin.net so I have
>
> myhostname = yourhost.virgin.net
> mydomain = virgin.net
> myorigin = $mydomain
>
> Will I have to contact virgin.net inorder to find out what "yourhost"
should
> be changed to
If I was you I'd just make something up for the yourhost part such as your
surname or home town!  I doubt if virgin will have actaully given you a
xxxx.virgin.net name unless you are on ADSL with a fixed IP and as far as
they are concerned you can call it whatever you like as they will never see
it.

The other thing to look out for is to make sure you don't make the system
think its server mail for the whole of virgin.net or you won't be able to
send mail to other xxxx at virgin.net users (it'll stay on your system, or
bounce if it can't find a matching user on your system).

Check the logs once you start sending mail to see that it has in fact left
your system.

Good luck

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk