[Gllug] local DNS with smoothwall or IPcop?

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Fri Nov 15 20:03:29 UTC 2002

Have been making an attempt at this today, smoothwall uses ipchains so have been reading the man and how-tos.  I'm still confused as I don't see a way of redirecting the external address to the internal one. Redirect is only for the port from what I can tell read about and using masq doesn't make sense until I can set up the new destination.

>From what I can tell I need to create a new rule on the INPUT chain testing for the external IP if matched jump to a new user defined chain.
Create two rules for the new user defined chain:
- one to redirect external IP to internal one,
- one to masq the external to internal
Otherwise the source and destination IP's don't seem right.

This is what I think I need to do
ipchains -N dev_web
ipchains ??? something that redirects external_IP to internal_IP
ipcahins -A dev_web -d internal_ip -j MASQ
ipchains -A input -p tcp -d external_IP :80 -j dev_web

Have had a play with it but don't seem to be getting anywhere, is there some better documentation than the ipchains how-to and masquerading how-to, because I'm missing something in my understanding of this.

thanks
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk