[Gllug] Re: Can't connect to the internet

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Nov 11 09:07:27 UTC 2002

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Mark Preston wrote:

> http://open.nit.ca/oss/
> I wonder what RMS would make of this?
> I don't think he'd be too happy about it, and I'm not sure where this
> will lead wvdial in the future.

The statement regarding wvdial is very plain - it is licensed under a Free
Software license and will continue to be.

What they are saying is that where they consider a product to be a money
spinner they will keep it proprietary however wvdial plainly isn't so they
are happy to release it Freely.

While I suspect that Richard would prefer that companies completely
embrace Free Software ideals I've met him a few times and he is nothing
like the rabid lune that some portray him as. So long as they are not
actually abusing the GPL (and they are not!) I don't think he'd have any
problem with them in practicle terms.

> I still reckon in the long term you may be better learning how to set up
> an internet connection with minicom pppd and chat.

Yes but you need to specify why. Learning this *is* useful for handling
those occassions where your ISP connection suddenly stops working and you
need to prove to the ISP that it really is their problem rather than yours
- being able to provide proper PPP debugging helps a lot in this.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk