[Gllug] grub and dual booting with windoze xp

Hong Chyr chyryh at linuxmail.org
Tue Nov 12 16:41:49 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Sean Burlington <sean at uncertainty.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 09:20:49 +0000
To: gllug at linux.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Gllug] grub and dual booting with windoze xp

> )
> >

> > I'm unable to boot with GRUB. I just get the "GRUB" prompt and the system
> > hangs. Restoring the MBR with fixmbr gives me windoze xp back, and booting
> > linux from the installation CD gets me that back.
> >
> > My menu.lst file is shown below. Note that with the gfxmenu line commented
> > out, GRUB gets past the prompt only to fail with either error 21 or 23 (I
> > can't remember which, but 23 is probably right).
> >
> > I've tried various methods such as installing the bootloader on the root
> > partition, copying it to a floppy with dd, putting it on the C partition
> > and editing boot.ini appropriately. This still gives me the "GRUB" prompt
> > and a hanging system.
I'm running RH7.3 on my laptop, dual booting with WinXP. But the difference was I wiped the original XP installation, repartition and installed XP and Linux on the same drive. That seemed to work fine for me. I can even hibernate the laptop and choose to reboot into Linux while XP thinks its still in hibernation.

Perhaps try installing SUSE on the primary drive and if that doesn't work maybe the problem's with hardware?

my 2p worth.

Cheers
Hong
http://www.linuxmail.org/