[Gllug] ftp listing thank you all

George Saxby George.Saxby at racc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 12 16:33:27 UTC 2002

Hi,
 Thanks to all who replied I will try the various methods suggested.

George F. Saxby
    Systems Engineer
       I.T.S. Team

On 12 Nov 2002, Mark Lowes wrote:

> > The only time I ever tried proftpd it was rooted in less than 2 hours.
>
> Problems which have long since been fixed.

The problemwas not so much the bug but their attitude when I reported it
to them - simply outright denial.

I know that all software is subject to bugs. I am happy enough to accept
that reality - indeed it is one of the factors that makes Free Software so
important.

What I am not happy to accept is when a developer simply refuses to even
consider that his/her product is not perfect.

> The current development / core team take security seriously as should be
> apparent by the lack of bugtraq issues.

There were no issues on Bugtraq when I tried it before either. While this
is a useful measurement it is not by any means a guarantee of anything
other than that nobody on Bugtraq is discussing a security issue with a
package.

I am happy enough now with vsftpd. Proftpd offers nothing that I want/need
so I haven't spent the effort to look into again.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk