[Gllug] Suse and multiple NICS

Ian Baillie ian.baillie at westminster.org.uk
Wed Nov 13 12:13:50 UTC 2002

I have just installed Suse 7.3 on a G4.  The intention is to use this
machine as a proxy/filter/firewall as discussed previously.  I'm just
experimenting at the moment, so I have done the KDE grtaphical install
with office.

I have 2 NICs in the machine (1 built in eth0, and 1 PCI eth1).  eth0 is
plugged into the network hub, and eth1 is plugged into the router.  The
only other machine plugged into the router is the current proxy machine.

The router serves IP addresses dynamically, and so eth1 has been set to
DHCP.  I have given eth0 a static IP address on the internal network.

e.g. 	eth0 = 192.168.1.252
	eth1 dynamic

My problem is that the current proxy server is also a DHCP server, and
as this is also plugged into the router, eth1 keeps picking up an
address from the network 192.168.1.*

How can I resolve this?

I also need the machine to make all requests for addresses outside the
192.168.1.x range route through eth1, so it can go to the outside world
rather than eth0, which it currently appears to do.  I have been trying
to do this with Yast 2, but it doesn't appear to work.

Thanks,

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk