[Gllug] How to kill a rogue process

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Nov 14 15:53:49 UTC 2002

Anyone know how I can kill a rogue process? Gimp crashed on me, and is
now consuming all my CPU time. Naturally I've tried killing it with
various signals of increasing strength, but to no avail. I've tried
stracing it, but that returns nothing, so presumably, it's just in
an infinite loop that's not doing any system calls. It's not in an
uninterruptable sleep state, so how is it able to ignore SIGKILL?

Incidentally, sending the window an X destroy event manages to kill
it, but an OS level signal doesn't. Bizarre...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk