[Gllug] RE: [GLUG] Urgent!! maillog

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 16:06:33 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 14:16, Neil Fryer wrote:
> Ok, if it's not serious and will still work then that's fine, as we have the
> box 192.168.1.203 popping of of this mailserver.
> Thank you, you have just put my mind at ease :-)
> Neil

Hi Neil,

just to clarify - you won't able to resolve the particular address you
give above (192.168.1.203) regardless of whether you have a correct
client DNS setup on your mailserver, because it is a "private" network
(see http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt).

As other replies have said, you can make the address resolvable if you
run your own DNS server, by adding appropriate records. This will not
allow resolution of this address outside your local network, of course.

If you just want to make your mailserver recognise this address add
something like:
    192.168.1.203           host
to /etc/hosts

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk