[Gllug] Proxy Server

Ian Baillie ian.baillie at westminster.org.uk
Tue Nov 12 10:49:24 UTC 2002

Hi All,

I posted a similar email, a while back (probably at the beginning of the
year), but the time has come to implement a solution.

What I want:
A proxy server, with web caching capabilities, firewall and filtering.
Ideally, the filtering will look up entries in a database, so it can be
dynamically updated, as and when unsuitable sites are found and added.
Later on, I may want to add EMail services, Anti-Virus and Intranet server.

My Understanding:
>From previous emails, I seem to recall that I should use Squid for the
proxy/caching server, with squid-guard to perform the filtering and
iptables for firewalling.

Questions:
Can this setup be used in conjunction with a database e.g. mySQL to lookup
unsuitable sites, and redirect to a admin page stating the site is barred?
Does anyone know of a suitable ban list?
Is it okay to have the proxy/caching/firewall/database/filtering all on the
same machine?

Other info:
The clients are a mixture of Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Win 98, Win 2K and Win XP.
 Currently, there is an OS 9 server running VicomServer (proxy software)
with filtering using cyberNot.  This is a school enviorment, so the
filtering needs to be pretty good.

Thanks in advance...

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk