[Gllug] ADSL or cable?

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Tue Nov 12 09:54:47 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 16:59, Gordon Joly wrote:

> >ADSL (assuming it's BT's wholesale product which is what most ISPs are
> >actually selling) is sold in the following flavours
> >
> >'home' or 'single user'
> >512kbps @ 50:1 contention
>
> 512 / 50 = 10.24 kbps (or did I miss something:-)

Nope, though this is the rate at which they say they can contend within
the contract, however I find it unlikely that any VP from the exchange
to the core will ever remain at a 50:1 usage for any significant period
of time without being upgraded.

> I like "single user" - yes single in the sense that you share the
> pipe with many other people (if not now, in a few months time)...

Or "single" in that it's designed for a single homeuser (ie single
computer) not a network (hidden by NAT) of computers.  Though while it's
a technical breach of the contract to hook a network up in this manner
I'm sure there are many people doing it.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk