[Gllug] Linux and Novell

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Mon Nov 18 23:17:21 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 08:25:11PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 07:28:59PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> > I've just started a new job at a local school as a network manager.
> >
> > We are running novell servers (boy am i having to brush up on them).
> > And mount directories : budget doesn't extend to novell nfs, so ncpfs ?

Or samba on netware :)

> > Any big gotchas to be aware off ?
>
> Not really.  ncpfs works fine, as does the pam_ncp module.  You have to
> authenticate against each server separately, even if you are running NDS
> (in which case you will need to be running bindery emulation).  ncpfs
> can even do ncp over ip, so can cope fine with Netware 5 and up.

Am I correct in thinking that you can use pam_ldap (the nss ldap stuff
IIRC) to authenticate against nds.  I've not got it working.

You can also run Console One from linux, and as Netware runs X you can
also remotely get the Netware server's output on your box.

There was talk at some point of novell supplying a client for single
sign on but that's never materialised.  You can also run e-directory on
linux but unsure how it all ties in with pam.

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk