[Gllug] reduce modem volume?

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun Nov 24 15:12:28 UTC 2002

>>That suggestion re. the headphone jack is brillant :) Never occurred to me.
>

> If someone suggested putting an unterminated jack plug in the socket (i.e.
> with no speaker or headphone attached) in order to open the speaker switch
> then it's brilliantly illadvised. Unterminated audio circuits lead to
> amplifier degradation over time, and the cheaper the amp chip/circuit the
> quicker it happens! As a temporary bodge it's OK, but not a permanent fix.
>
> Dylan

been working fine for the last 4-5 years :)

not that I've tried using the speaker or even plugging in a real pair of
headphones.

I'm not suprised that there is a better way of doing this - but at the
time I did it I was new to linux and had *way* too many other things to
figure out.

Sometimes a little bodge goes a long way

but now the issue is raised I tried doing it properly and found that
neither ATM0 nor ATL0 fixed the problem

but adding *both* does seem to work

# Begin /etc/ppp/chat-freeserve

ABORT "NO CARRIER"