[Gllug] reduce modem volume?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sun Nov 24 14:36:57 UTC 2002

On Sunday 24 November 2002 13:45, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> Thanks Walid (and John and Sean) for your suggestions.
> After a lot of footering and wailing (on the part of the modem - not me)
> I got that sorted. And I did some more homework :) In the configuring the
> modem screen I tried the suggestions and other stuff. Adding L0 gave me
> "bad init string". It certainly shut the modem up though :)
> Went into /etc/wvdial.conf and tried L0 there.  Still the same. (so much
> for the manual). Finally, still in that file, removed ATZ (the first
> command) and replaced it with ATM0 and that seems to do the trick. Though
> it seems to take longer to make the connection.

That's probably because ATZ = reset modem, and ATM controls the speaker
(0=off, 1=on). Perhaps you should try putting ATZ back at the front of the
string.

> Mind you, half the bloody time, I have to wait ages for Kmail to go off and
> do it's thing - most of the time it comes back with a 'host not found'
> message. Anyway, that's been ongoing (though more frequent since I
> installed the firewall that came with the SUSE distro yesterday) and
> certainly nothng to do with the question I posed which has been well
> sorted.

I've found SuSEFirewall2 has problems when the IP address isn't assigned
before its stage 2 initialisation. My solution (since I get IP from ADSL
router by DHCP) was to extend the timeout waiting for the DHCP assignment.

Since you're on dialup, you could look at taking the firewall startup out of
the boot process and putting it the dialup script so it starts immediately
after the IP address is assigned. No idea how to do that tho, or if it's
possible.

> That suggestion re. the headphone jack is brillant :) Never occurred to me.

If someone suggested putting an unterminated jack plug in the socket (i.e.
with no speaker or headphone attached) in order to open the speaker switch
then it's brilliantly illadvised. Unterminated audio circuits lead to
amplifier degradation over time, and the cheaper the amp chip/circuit the
quicker it happens! As a temporary bodge it's OK, but not a permanent fix.

Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation
Heart of this nation