[Gllug] Hardware help needed

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 01:21:14 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 23:31, Alain Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just put a new box together, I thought that I would get all the bits
> & see what I could manage... well it doesn't work. Because it is a system that
> has never worked before I can't be sure if it is something that I have done
> wrong or a bad bit of hardware.
>
> Any advice from a hardware guru would be gratefully received, I live in Watford
> & would be happy to bring it round one evening.
>
> System:
> AMD Athlon 2100XP, 512Mb DDR Ram, Epox 8KHA+ mother board, Nvidia TI4200 Ultra650 video card.
> + the usual CD, disk, floppies, etc.

One thing that springs to mind is that Athlons are known for being
pernickety about power supplies - what PSU are you using?

My standard practice for non-booting boxes is to strip out everything
except CPU + memory, re-seat those, and check the heat sinks, stick in
the oldest, low end video card I can (I have an ISA Trident card that I
use for testing), and try again. Usually, problems stem from badly
seated cards. My desktop used to have a problem where whenver I moved
the box, the video card would move slightly, and I'd have to take the
side off and give it a shove before it would boot again....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk