[Gllug] Flavours end - Linux begins?

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Mon Nov 18 11:32:37 UTC 2002

At 11:12 18/11/02, you wrote:
>Dermot Moynihan wrote:

>>> they become
>>> it on

>>> of them
>>> I keep
>>> possibly,

>>> monitors side
>>> I work

>>>    I am trying to learn the Debian distribution, and there are mainly
>>>symbolic links in /usr/doc, with the majority of the documentation in
>>>/usr/share/doc as either uncompressed or gzipped, plain text or html, files.
>>>I use "ls" or "ls -l" to list each directory layer in turn to make sure that
>>>I do not miss anything, and pipe the output into either more or less so that
>>>they do not just fly past the screen:
>>>
>>>ls -l /usr/share/doc | less
>>>
>>>    Most items are listed under the package names, and are themselves
>>>directories, but do not miss the Linux Documentation Project howto and
>>>mini.howto series. Plain text files can be viewed using less, or zless for
>>>gzipped files. There are also the "man" pages, if you do not know the name
>>>of a relevant man page, type
>>>
>>>apropos <string>
>>>
>>>to get a list of man pages whose header contains <string>, each will be
>>>listed as <name><#> which is then accessed using
>>>
>>>man # <name>
>>>

>>>--
>>>Chris Bell
>>
>>Thanks Chris, I've been using man a bit and I've printed out some of the
>>HOWTOs.
>>Can I ask probably a very beginner question:
>>How can I get it to give me a printout of  e.g.
>>man ls
>>Reading off my cheap monitor is a pain. I need to relax while I read it.
>
>Type "man man" to see all the options for man itself :-)
>
>Use:
>
># man -t command
>
>to format the man page for "command" ready for a printer. You then pipe it
>to the lpr command that prints it out.
>So...
>
># man -t ls | lpr
>
>should do the trick.
>
>Steve

Thanks Steve. Should save me bothering ye guys with mundane seeming questions.
By the way, thanks for your earlier advice on how to save my Kmail set up
and messages. Haven't got around to it yet (hence the late thanks) as I'm
trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing before I do it. Cld take a
while. But I'll get there.
Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk