[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report (Seriously OT now!)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Nov 26 22:41:38 UTC 2002

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/apostrophe.htm
http://www.emory.edu/ENGLISH/WC/apostrophe2.html
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html
http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~olson/pms/apostrophe.html

> There seems no point since
> the traditional method (e.g. "CDs", "TVs") is perfectly clear.

Using an apostrophe for the plurals of numbers and abbreviations *is*
traditional.  I was certainly taught so explicity.  The belief that it
isn't is largely, I think, the result of geeks over-enthusiastically and
mechanically applying a rule, as they are wont.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?