[Gllug] Linux config suitable for everyone...

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Tue Nov 26 09:17:17 UTC 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:21:04 +0000
Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> wrote:
> The config I think is appropriate goes something like:
>
> kernel configured for hardware
> no iptables, but limited services running
> X with kde
> OpenOffice.org
>
> Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Window Maker and GNOME and galeon, but
> I really don't think that these are as appropriate for an unsuspecting
> newbie.  Evolution and GIMP would be nice to include too, but I'd prefer not
> to confuse said newbie with two GUI toolkits.

I don't feel that it really matters what applications and desktop you use. The important thing is to get the menus set-up so that all the applications are immediately obvious to the user. After that it's a case of making sure that whatever applications you've chosen cooperate properly.

If, for example, you choose mozilla as your web browser you are going to have a hard time using anything other than mozilla-mail as your mail client because every time the user clicks on a mailto link in mozilla it will open mozilla-mail. When trying to get a desktop environment to work properly the devil is in the details.

My basic point is hide all the stuff you don't want them to use and make sure the stuff you do want them to use works properly. Knowledgeable users will hunt out their own favourite apps anyway, or reinstall their favourite linux.

That's just my 2p from having to get the desktops here working properly. At least you don't have to worry about getting your apps to work across different platforms.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk