[Gllug] Linux config suitable for everyone...

Daniel Andersson daniel at septum.org
Tue Nov 26 14:42:08 UTC 2002

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:21:04 +0000
> Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> wrote:
> > The config I think is appropriate goes something like:
> >
> > kernel configured for hardware
> > no iptables, but limited services running
> > X with kde
> > OpenOffice.org
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Window Maker and GNOME and galeon,
but
> > I really don't think that these are as appropriate for an unsuspecting
> > newbie.  Evolution and GIMP would be nice to include too, but I'd prefer
not
> > to confuse said newbie with two GUI toolkits.
>
> I don't feel that it really matters what applications and desktop you use.
The important thing is to get the menus set-up so that all the applications
are immediately obvious to the user. After that it's a case of making sure
that whatever applications you've chosen cooperate properly.

agree
and i think (even though people will flame me) that XP's menu is one of the
best, for newbies that is

it's "Internet" and "Mail" (if i remember correctly)
they don't need to know Mozilla, Netscape, Konquer, Internet Explorer, they
only need to know "Internet" (which makes sense, me thinks)

keep it as simple and "one-way" as possible

/ d

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk