[Gllug] TV out

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Nov 1 15:15:06 UTC 2002

Stan wrote:

>Rev Simon Rumble (simon at rumble.net) apparently wrote:
>

>>On Wed 30 Oct, Xander D Harkness bloviated thus:
>>

>>>I was wondering that while Matrox and Nvidia provide cards that provide
>>>TV out under Linux, are there any that people would recommend?
>>>

>>Be aware that Matrox G450 and G550 do NOT do TV-Out under Linux, and
>>probably never will.  The Matrox people always go "mumble mumble
>>Macrovision" and change the subject.  It's something of a sore point
>>with many Matrox owners as the support under Windows is fantastic.
>>

>Actually it does...it requires that you patch your kernel but it works
>v well.  Well it does on my machine at home which says this is the card:
>
>lspci -vv
><snip>
>
>01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev 82) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>        Subsystem: Matrox Graphics, Inc. Millennium G450 Dual Head LX
>        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
>        Latency: 32 (4000ns min, 8000ns max), cache line size 08
>        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
>        Region 0: Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
>        Region 1: Memory at d6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>        Region 2: Memory at d7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
>        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
>        Capabilities: <available only to root>

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I was going to go buy a Matrox; however I have just received a response
back from Matrox (who I emailed at the same time as Gllug).  As a result
of their response I think I shall go Nvidia :-)

Xander,
I'm afraid not, but keep checking our site - never say never.
Regards
Graphics sales