[Gllug] local DNS with smoothwall or IPcop?

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Nov 13 13:32:17 UTC 2002

Steve Nicholson wrote:

>sometimes I have the requirement to test a domain on a development website in my local network e.g. yoursolutions.com where the domain already exists and is resolved to an external IP.  Is there a way I can add this domain to my router (using smoothwall at the moment) to temporarily resolve to an internal address and point it to my development box?  This way I can test features that require the domain name in the URL with out having to upload changes to production site and worry about screwing it up.  I don't really want to set up my own bind for this.

You could use your /etc/hosts or c:\windows\hosts file for this and it
would have the same effect as long as you are not running a proxy /
cache on the smoothwall box

>Is anyone using IPcop?  It's a off shoot of smoothwall GPL before they removed the GPL (lets not get into a discussion on this bit).  My flatmate wants to use MSN voice conferencing but it doesn't work with smoothwall and it's difficult to find information about getting it to work due to their lack of public mail list archive.

I have heard the same of people who bought Commercial hardware solutions.

As far as I can tell it is very poorly engineered and has to choose from
a myriad of ports, so rather than being able to run one or two of these
applicatiosn NATed you have to port forward all the relevant ports to
one IP.

There are lots of other applications available such a linphone that I
think have win32 counterparts.

I had also heard a lot od stuff about the creators of smoothwall.  I
have seen Richard Morrell post on Gllug a couple of times:

http://list.ftech.net/pipermail/gllug/2000-September/002879.html

The posts do not reflect what I had heard.  I was excited when I saw
IPcop appear as there was so much that I wanted Smoothwall to do and it
seems that they were just seeking to do the 'commercial thing', whereas
I wanted Squid auth, I wanted multiple red IPs.  You can buy all this;
however it was a bit much for home - so I learned a lot more than I
expected and built my own setup.

It seems that IPcop apart from putting Ext3 in (which is in the new SM
beta) had not done much except change the HTML.

The travel plans for IPcop seem interesting and if I cannot contribute
to SM, I guess I should move my rump and help out elsewhere ;-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk