[Gllug] how to access virtual consoles?

Walid Shaari Walid at melinux.com
Sat Nov 23 23:16:17 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 23:11, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> I keep reading how if I press ALT+F1 or any F key up to F6 I can get virtual
> consoles.
> At the moment when I load SUSE 8.1 from a boot floppy (GRUB) it takes me
> straight to a login screen and then I end up in KDE. When I hit ALT and the F
> keys in here I just get menus.
> So, I'm assuming the ALT F thing is available somewhere before KDE.
> Basically, I want to learn the command line without having to wait for KDE to
> do it's thing every time I boot up.
> Any ideas?

Check out the /etc/inittab file; there should be an entry for the
default runlevel such as :

id:5:initdefault:

you can change it from there to another runlevel that is not graphical I
would presume its 3 under Suse, but better consult your manuals first.

or you can press Ctl+Alt+F1 F2 F3... from runlevel 5(Graphical) to the
text console

HTH

Walid

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk