[Gllug] Re: Can't connect to the internet

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Sun Nov 10 09:38:23 UTC 2002

At 23:08 09/11/02, you wrote:
>Re:-
>"Norman
>First of all, I'd suggest going to GLLUG at linux.co.uk - all the messages are=
>=20
>still there!"
>
>Try
>  http://list.ftech.net/pipermail/gllug/

yes, indeed, thanks for the correction.

>Bookmark this page then you have a good start point for browsing all the
>GLLUG general messages.

Good idea.
By the way, is there any way to save my Kmail setup and messages to a FAT16
partition (I have icons to C: and D: on my desktop).

>  Regarding wvdial.
>http://open.nit.ca/oss/

I'm checking out the link - it looks like a good place for wvdial info.

>I wonder what RMS would make of this?
>I don't think he'd be too happy about it, and I'm not sure where this will
>lead wvdial in the future.
>I still reckon in the long term you may be better learning how to set up
>an internet connection with minicom pppd and chat.

As soon as I figure out how to save my Kmail messages to a save place I
will take your advice. I tried minicom (once I had tracked it down - it
doesn't install by default with Suse 8.1) and pppd after  I had wvdial
working but I ended up with a modem that showed no sign of life. It took a
reinstall of Suse to get me back with a working modem again, courtesy of
wvdial. So, I anticipate more reinstalling. I don't mind reinstalling - can
do with the practice - but I can't do it everytime I have a problem, as
it's more a workaround than a solution. Also, I'd learn little if I
reinstalled everytime I had a prob. Bbut I won't learn anything if I'm
afraid to experiment and reinstall is a good fallback thing. For now.

>Although Mandrake 8.2 and it's internet dialer worked first time for me on
>a laptop without having to do anything other than fill in the ISP details
>and point and click.

Yep, even with the little knowledge I have I was able to get it up and
running with Mandrake as well.
Thanks Mark
Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk