SPAM[My RCPTTO] [Gllug] PDF makers

Frank Scott frank at frasco.org.uk
Fri Nov 1 10:54:29 UTC 2002

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 10:24:50AM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Fri 01 Nov, Frank Scott bloviated thus:
>
> > I use it for writing online help files for applications which I have to
> > port to the Evil Empire (TM).
>
> If you're doing that, you should use Microsoft's free (beer) HTML Help
> compiler.  It's more integrated than PDF and has things like keyword
> search and index pages.  PDF would make for poor help, it's really
> designed for print, as much as Adobe would like to claim otherwise.

I used to use Microsoft's help compiler and got fed up with wasting many
unpaid days redoing the help files when ms$ changed the format yet
again! I haven't used the HTML version, but can see no advatage over
PDF.

Using PDF I can write one document as the user guide (complete with
index) which can be printede as required and by embedding links in it,
the application can jump to the appropriate part or keyword as required.

Frank

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk