[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Nov 26 15:03:46 UTC 2002

On Tue 26 Nov, John Winters bloviated thus:

> You could use it in a technical writing course as a concentrated
> example of how not to do it.  Both the content and the presentation are
> lamentable.

I suspect there is no shortage of such examples and a shortage of the
opposite example.  The problem is that _NO_ company has enough
knowledgable, well-paid, happy technical writers.  We're always
overworked, underpaid and surly.  Many also aren't particularly
technical, which can be good or bad.

> Speaking as an Oxford graduate, I think your viewpoint is a little
> deluded.

You're probably right, it's just that my impression of people with
public school then oxbridge education is an expectation that
opportunity will fall in their lap.  It's a gross generalisation, of
course, and probably says more about me than the state of the world in
which I live.  Good ol' Aussie tall poppy syndrome.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for
appointment by the corrupt few.

- George Bernard Shaw