[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

duncan D.C.Martin.2000 at Cranfield.ac.uk
Tue Nov 26 11:59:10 UTC 2002

On 26 Nov 2002, John Winters wrote:

> Speaking as an Oxford graduate, I think your viewpoint is a little
> deluded.  It's a privilege to go there but it's one which has to be
> earned (and they don't teach grammar - they expect you to already know
> it).  I didn't go to public school and got to Oxford purely on merit.

Ditto.  Your tutors will rip you for having poor grammar, but no-one will
teach it.  Not English grammar anyway!

> Just because Gordon Brown made a complete idiot of himself about the
> Oxford admissions process doesn't mean we all have to.

No matter what people say, Oxford and Cambridge will always be viewed with
suspicion.  But it doesn't help when people who should know better get
things wrong.  (And I don't think that sentance is correct, but I did
physics so grammar was never a strong point!)

Cheers
Duncan Martin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk