[Gllug] reduce modem volume?

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Sun Nov 24 11:42:51 UTC 2002

I have a very loud external modem which screeches like a banshee.
My PC is in my bedroom. I'm not alone.  I fear I will be if this carries on
for much longer :)
I've put Google thru' it's paces and found nothing.
I've been through my manual over and over. Lots on windows; zilch on Linux.
I did find a reference in the command section to:

Ln   2 (Data mode)

and then different options for the volume i.e.

n =0  low speaker volume
n = 1 low speaker volume
n = 2 medium speaker volume
n = 3 high speaker volume

So, I presume I enter L0 somewhere. But where?
Is there a configuration file for the modem hiding somewhere?

I've got SUSE 8.1 and use wvdial.

With Mandrake I was able to turn off the volume using a slider. Is there
anything like that for SUSE?

Any suggestions appreciated
Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk