[Gllug] Fwd: seeking advice (about printer support on GNU/Linux)

Manjush G.Menon manjush at lycos.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 07:35:50 UTC 2002

 Start of forwarded message -------
From: klak at giasbm01.vsnl.net.in (Khuzaima A. Lakdawala)
To: fsug-kochi-discuss at symonds.net, fsug-kozhikode <fsug-calicut at freelists.org>
Subject: Fwd: [fsug-calicut] Fwd: seeking advice (about printer support on
GNU/Linux)
Date: 11/18/2002 10:57:07 AM

Please cc any replies to vkr2002 at vsnl.net

Dear sir,

I am Company Secretary of Kerala Shipping and Inland Navigation Corporation
Ltd. (INDIA),
a Govt. of Kerala Company engaged in Inland Navigation. I amincharge of
computerisation
of this Company. We have invited tenders for this process and it is in the final
stage.
Being interested in the Linux platform we had emphasised  this in the tender and
asked the parties to quote for both windows and LInux platforms.

As a trial I have installed MANDRAKE linux in one of the machines. The installation
went
smoothly. i installed the OPEN OFFICE as the office suit.

But now I am facing a problem that none of our printers is supported by Linux.
We are having the following printers: (all dot matrix printers)

1. Epson LQ300 ESC/2
2. Wipro LQ1050
3. EPSON FX 1170
4. TVSE MS P345

Can you advice me about how to install the printers to get OPEN OFFICE
documents print properly
(I can print plain text using the printers.)

Since there are number of letters and other documents are prepared this is crucial
to determine
whether to go in for LINUX system or not

Regards,

RAJU V.K

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala

-------- End of forwarded message --------