[Gllug] Hardware help needed

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 17:56:19 UTC 2002

On Sat 23 Nov, Alain Williams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just put a new box together, I thought that I would get all the bits
> & see what I could manage... well it doesn't work. Because it is a system that
> has never worked before I can't be sure if it is something that I have done
> wrong or a bad bit of hardware.

   It is too easy to connect the floppy cable incorrectly. There are
normally 3 connectors, with a twist in the ribbon just before the last,
which is the one which should connect to the drive. The convention is that
the drive is supplied set up as the second floppy, and the ribbon is twisted
to reverse the address lines. Also check that pin 1 of the cable goes to the
drive pin 1, not always clearly labelled on a floppy drive.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk