[Gllug] Hardware help needed

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 10:09:35 UTC 2002

Synthetic reply to various bits of advice:

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 11:49:44PM +0000, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 11:31 PM, Alain Williams wrote:

> > When I power up the POST code is FF (which the manual says = Boot
> > attempt (INT(10h)), it
> > gets there immediately, no other code shows, the disk/floppy don't
> > spin up or seek,
> > the monitor says 'No signal'. I can't get to BIOS setup.
>
> What do you get if you remove everything from the motherboard other
> than Processor, Memory and Video?

No change.
I also removed memory & video (ie just CPU left), exactly the same.

> Also is this FF code something displayed on an LED cluster built into
> the motherboard?
Yes.

> > 	1. BIOS chip replace inverse		make sure bios chip replace appropriate
>
> Check to see if there is an indicator for pin 1 on the BIOS chip and
> that it is inserted the right way round.

It was inserted in the motherboard when I got it. I don't have an extraction
tool, but the package has one corner that is bevelled which is against a
matching corner in what it plugs in to.

> > 	3. Mainboard problem			make sure all hardware device insert
> > appropriate
>
> Thoroughly reseat all components. Please ensure that you are using a
> properly rated heatsink and fan for the Athlon 2100+ - they're hot
> buggers and you could easily fry you chip if you run it for even the
> shortest amount of time without any cooling.

Nice big heatsink + fan. Came in the same AMD package as the CPU.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 11:51:08PM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> > I changed video card, no difference.
>
> Are they both AGP cards? is there a motherboard link/switch to set AGP or PCI
> graphics card?

Both AGP. No switch that I can see.

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:21:14AM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 23:31, Alain Williams wrote:
> > System:
> > AMD Athlon 2100XP, 512Mb DDR Ram, Epox 8KHA+ mother board, Nvidia TI4200 Ultra650 video card.
> > + the usual CD, disk, floppies, etc.
>
> One thing that springs to mind is that Athlons are known for being
> pernickety about power supplies - what PSU are you using?

300 Watt. (Wintche Electronics Corp - WIN-300PE), came as part of the desktop case.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk